aware

Brunswick Talk Radio Forum 1440 WGIG » Straight Talk from Scott Ryfun

Comcast

(2 posts)
  1. Gene

Please take this with a grain of salt. Last year when Comcast went digital, I had a problem and a service man came to get me hooked up. He was a contractor from Florida, he had been working in Glynn for several weeks. He was at my house for some 2 hours, and I followed him around. He was talking about how "we" are doing something different than "they" do it in Florida. He was really talking over my head. But from what I got from what he was saying was, with everyone bundling their phone, internet and TV, the lines are getting over loaded. Again, my words. He said they do it different in Florida. How and why it is different, I have no idea.

Posted on May 16, 2013 - 09:02 AM #
  2. Crossbow

In the old days a line was devoted to a single customer. It doesn't work that way anymore and didn't even work that way with copper lines except it was the norm for years with the telephone company before cell phones and pagers.. They can stack customers on a single line with a method called multiplexing. The technology is old but wasn't used for years because you had to have the equipment to make it work. We used it in the military and 12 different conversations can go down a single pair of wire. You can even double that with more equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplexing

Posted on May 17, 2013 - 03:43 PM #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

aware