aware

Brunswick Talk Radio Forum 1440 WGIG » Straight Talk from Scott Ryfun

Heinz Trial

(14 posts)
  1. Crossbow

Bloody numchucks found in tire but police never went back and got them?

We didnt test all the blood because we would have ended up sending the Mobil Home to the crime lab?

Evidence missing.

Warrant not issued.

Rights not read.

Will he walk?

Posted on October 19, 2013 - 05:55 PM #
  2. somegirl

All that aside, I'm having trouble with the notion that one person could beat that many people to death. It makes no sense.

Posted on October 21, 2013 - 07:37 AM #
  3. Crossbow

I got tired of writing all the blunders.

Posted on October 21, 2013 - 08:17 AM #
  4. Crossbow

The JSO crime scene investigator shares your thoughts.
    Closing arguments set for today in Heinze trial
    10/23/2013
    By MICHAEL HALL The Brunswick News

Two expert witnesses for the defense in the trial of Guy Heinze Jr. testified in Glynn County Superior Court Tuesday, the seventh day of the trial, that multiple perpetrators -- as many as a half dozen or more -- would have been needed to carry out the violent attack that took the lives of eight people in a trailer four years ago.

In cross examination, however, the prosecution went after the experts for making assumptions about the Aug. 29, 2009 murders in a mobile home park in New Hope Plantation based only on the evaluation of photographs of the crime scene and police reports.

Closing arguments in the trial of Heinze, the only one accused in the mass murder, are scheduled for this morning. Brunswick Judicial Circuit Judge Stephen Scarlett will then charge the jury, which will deliberate and decide Heinze's guilt or innocence.

Because the district attorney is seeking the death penalty, a guilty verdict would be followed by a penalty phase of the trial.

Heinze is accused of allegedly bludgeoning to death his father, Guy Heinze Sr., 46, his father's friend, Russell Toler Sr., 44, and Toler's children -- Chrissy Toler, 22, Russell Toler Jr., 20, Michael Toler, 19, and Michelle Toler, 15. He also is charged in the deaths of family friends Brenda Falagan, 48, and Joseph West, 30. He is also accused of attempting to kill Byron Jimmerson, Chrissy Toler's son, who was a preschooler at the time.

Heinze has maintained his innocence.

Much of the morning was dominated by Dr. Jonathan Arden, a physician and forensic pathologist hired by the defense to evaluate the autopsy reports of the eight victims.

Arden said the thousands of photographs and numerous reports he evaluated suggest that the attack was most likely not carried out by a single person.

"We know that there has to be multiple weapons...because we have numerous blunt impact type injuries," Arden said.

During direct examination, defense attorney Newell Hamilton asked Arden if several round wounds on the forehead of Russell Toler Jr. could have been made by a hammer. Hamilton has contended previously during the trial that a hammer found under the steps of the trailer when it was moved a year after the crime was never pursued by police as a weapon possibly used in the murders.

"It could be consistent with something like a hammer," Arden answered.

During cross examination, Special Assistant District Attorney John B. Johnson pointed out in court that Arden was using nondefinitive terms like "appeared to be" and "consistent with" when describing what he saw in the photographs.

Johnson also pointed out that the round wounds on Toler Jr.'s forehead and the other bruises are consistent with a long and narrow object that could just as easily have been the barrel of a shotgun. Prosecutors have contended from the outset that Heinze may have used the missing barrel of 20 gauge shotgun in the attacks.

Arden agreed a shotgun barrel could have been used, but he disagreed that the round wounds and some other marks were caused by insects following the deaths of the eight.

Michael Knox, a forensic crime scene and criminology consultant called to the stand by the defense, spent several hours bolstering the defense's assertion that the crime scene was mishandled by the Glynn County Police Department by giving a detailed reconstruction of the crime scene.

Knox meticulously went through dozens of crime scene photographs with the jury, critiquing how the crime scene was investigated and pointing out numerous areas where he said police should have handled things differently.

As he discussed the beating death of Heinze's father, Guy Heinze Sr., and showed gruesome crime scene photographs, Tyler Heinze, a younger brother of Guy Heinze Jr. who has been present throughout the trial, left the courtroom in tears.

Knox contended there were many pieces of evidence that suggests there could have been as many as five to seven attackers.

"This can't be done by one person carrying all this out," Knox testified.

He continued that fights that ensued during the attack of several of the victims would have awakened others in the single-wide trailer.

During cross examination, Johnson reiterated that Knox had presented a reconstructed crime scene based only on photographs and not of an actual evaluation of the scene itself.

He also asked Knox if it was possible that one person could have killed all eight by himself.

Knox conceded it was in the realm of possibility but unlikely.

Before recessing for the evening, the prosecution called an extra witness, Glynn County Police Capt. Tommy Tindale, in rebuttal to the attacks waged by the defense on the crime scene investigation.

At least one juror feels the prosecution has failed to prove its case. Glynn County Sheriff's Deputy Rocky Mortoriet took the stand Monday and told the court that a juror spoke to him Sunday in the gym at the motel where the sequestered jury is staying and told him there is no way he can convict Heinze because "there is absolutely no evidence against him." Judge Scarlett reminded the juror and others on the jury not to talk about the case.

Posted on October 23, 2013 - 05:36 AM #
  5. Gene

I hate to say it, but yes he may just walk, imo from what I am reading this week. No drugs in the bodies of the dead, except maybe one whom had the script. I think I read that. I had thought and I guess incorrectly that all had to be drugged/passed out when this happened. Wonder if Mr. West owned money to his supplier?

Posted on October 23, 2013 - 08:35 AM #
  6. Gene

What a great time for the Ga Times Union to require payment to read their stories. Was nice to read Terry Dickson's live blog throughout the trial. I guess not much to read, other than the 9 to 3 jury split.

Posted on October 25, 2013 - 09:38 AM #
  7. Crossbow

Guilty. Reduced to life. What a mess.

Posted on October 25, 2013 - 05:17 PM #
  8. Jones

What part of this 'mess' are you referring?

Posted on October 26, 2013 - 04:07 PM #
  9. Crossbow

Testimony deference's in opinion between veteran JSO investigator and GCPD murder weapon not found investigators cross examination evidence gathering four years in the making jury sent back after indicating stalemate juror removed and on and on. The fact the defense made a deal either indicates it isn't over or perhaps the deal makes that final or the defense took the hit and is getting papers ready to go again. One thing about the system nowadays, nothing is final it looks like.

Reminds me of this guy who is free walking around. http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2012-08-28/story/accused-brunswick-killer-go-free-after-pleading-lesser-charge

Posted on October 26, 2013 - 10:46 PM #
  10. Jones

What testimony was deferred? Do you mean differed? JSO dude= not on scene, GCPD= were ... Bound to be some differences in opinion. I wasn't there so I can't say. The fact that the defense made a deal is indicative that they thought it in the best interest of their client to plea. Could an appeal come up, maybe. Was the juror removal question rhetorical?

Posted on October 27, 2013 - 10:38 AM #
  11. Crossbow

Differences of opinion of how the blood splatter could of been handled and a dozen other things. I know the GCPD was there. I saw the podium and endless "no comments" on FOX and CNN.

It is my opinion Guy Heinz was there but not alone. That investigation wise it was way above GCPD's capabilities. That the process was a 4 year cluster F from start to finish. And I am telling the truth when I say that opinion is shared with everyone I have talked with. And that includes legislators, sheriff deputies, criminal trial lawyers and police officers.

Posted on October 28, 2013 - 07:35 AM #
  12. Jones

Guy Heinz wasn't alone, there were eight other people in that home at the time, no? Some things could have been done better, that's the case with every department. No one wants to screw up, but sometimes things happen. Assumptions happen. Recall the O.J. case out in Cali? I'm sure LAPD is capable of handling and processing a crime scene, but if IIRC there were some issues brought up at trial. Cross contamination and others. This jury saw through it and judging the evidence, was able to come to a decision.

Posted on October 29, 2013 - 09:13 PM #
  13. 3stooges2

Check out the latest motion filed in North Georgia by Atwood against Ralston and his client. fannin County Courthouse. THESE ARE PUBLIC RECORDS AND YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO GET A COPY AND DISBURSE AS YOU SEE FIT,

Posted on October 30, 2013 - 07:27 AM #
  14. Crossbow

The GBI stood ready to process this crime scene and investigate this case. But that would have taken the camera off your chief. And the word is that he has public office plans .

Posted on November 1, 2013 - 02:04 PM #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

aware