aware

Brunswick Talk Radio Forum 1440 WGIG » Straight Talk from Scott Ryfun

LE overkill much?

(6 posts)
  1. somegirl

Outline: 20 year old girl buys a 12 pack of canned water. State Alcohol agents think it is beer. SIX agents approached her, one pulled a gun, one jumped on her car. She was terrified and drove off. After all kinds of crazy charges and a night in jail the charges were dropped.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/bottled-water-purchase-leads-to-night-in-jail-for-uva/article_b5ab5f62-df9b-11e2-81c4-0019bb30f31a.html

SIX officers over one 12 pack of beer? Really? And jumping all over the place like she had kilos of coke? How difficult would it have been for one of the officers to approach in her a civil manner with his badge out and just talk to her?

Posted on July 1, 2013 - 08:38 AM #
  2. Jones

I'm about as pro-LE as one can get. That said, I read this and shook my head.... I know an ex-ABC agent and when I asked him about it, he did the same.

Posted on July 1, 2013 - 06:28 PM #
  3. Crossbow

Enter the lawyers

Posted on July 1, 2013 - 06:57 PM #
  4. somegirl

I hear ya, Jones. I am generally pro-LE (with a few notable exceptions) but this situation was over the top. Thank goodness it didn't end in a tragedy.

Posted on July 1, 2013 - 07:17 PM #
  5. Crossbow

You probably wouldn't want to see the viral vid of the Hawthorne CA cops shooting the dog.

Posted on July 1, 2013 - 11:47 PM #
  6. somegirl

Actually, I did watch it and was very upset afterwards. It brings up a question about that and similar incidents. I believe it is perfectly legal to film police as long as one is not interfering. Wasn't there a federal ruling a couple of years ago about it? So why do we see video after video of officers harassing and even arresting people who are not interfering with police activities?

Posted on July 2, 2013 - 08:01 AM #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

aware