aware

Brunswick Talk Radio Forum 1440 WGIG » Straight Talk from Scott Ryfun

Probably just a rumor BUT....

(30 posts)
  1. Gobbleman

I heard today that the poker game Tom S was in was a VERY high stakes game....and that he lost very BIG, tens of thousands....AND that he was in very poor finanical shape to the point of his house going into foreclosure.....that would put ME in a state of depression!!!! Perhaps just hearsay but the guys at the card game would know how much he lost and his wife (and banker) would know about his finances

Posted on February 5, 2013 - 06:54 PM #
  2. Silverfox

Probably a long shot again----But I was wondering if his car has GPS? If it does, it could fill in info of where the car had been etc.----Just wondering.

Posted on February 6, 2013 - 12:27 PM #
  3. Crossbow

Nickle and dime game. Has been for years .

Posted on February 6, 2013 - 05:45 PM #
  4. Gobbleman

Have you EVER heard of a local poker game that was NOT "nickle & dime" that is what is ALWAYS said about local poker tho it is not ALWAYS the case. I am not saying this game was anything but nic and dime BUT......everyone always sez it!!

Posted on February 6, 2013 - 10:13 PM #
  5. Jeff Kilgore

I know guys who were in the game, and I assure you that it was not anything more than "small stakes". As you said in the initial message, just "hearsay". Of course you are correct about his family likely knowing about Sublett's financial condition. Now......who is going to ask them ? That falls under the category of their private business as far as I am concerned.

A reasonable man adapts himself to the world around him. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    Posted on February 7, 2013 - 03:33 AM #
  6. Crossbow

You cant have it both ways. Small& Regan, nothing private about that. All laid out on the front page.. If it is proven Sublett killed himself than he perpetrated a fraud and cost the tax payers thousands and thousands of dollars.

Posted on February 7, 2013 - 10:13 AM #
  7. Gobbleman

I still want someone to answer the question about power residue on TS hands....was it there or not....if it was then yes, no doubt suicide....it not the power could have been washed off by the river tho I expect some trace would still be there. If his hands were not checked for residue then it was the worse case of detective work since Barney Fife tried to catch the cow thieves!

Posted on February 7, 2013 - 02:46 PM #
  8. Crossbow

I would rather know what was in his blood.

Posted on February 7, 2013 - 07:00 PM #
  9. Gobbleman

what are the chances that either of these facts will be made public????

Posted on February 7, 2013 - 08:02 PM #
  10. I suppose this means that Tom and gang are petty criminals according to the laws in Georgia...

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Georgia/
    16-12-20.

As used in this part, the term:

(1) "Bet" means an agreement that, dependent upon chance even though accompanied by some skill, one stands to win or lose something of value.

16-12-21.

(a) A person commits the offense of gambling when he:

(1) Makes a bet upon the partial or final result of any game or contest or upon the performance of any participant in such game or contest;

(3) Plays and bets for money or other thing of value at any game played with cards, dice, or balls.

(b) A person who commits the offense of gambling shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(3) "Gambling place" means any real estate, building, room, tent, vehicle, boat, or other property whatsoever, one of the principal uses of which is the making or settling of bets; the receiving, holding, recording, or forwarding of bets or offers to bet; or the conducting of a lottery or the playing of gambling devices.

Pretty darn clear:

They should all be arrested and have to stand before a judge and atone for their crimes. All involved..
    Or is this a wink wink by the good ole boys? The law is the law. After all its the montra of the republicans who love to say " We are a nation of laws " Seems to me that those like ole Tom who sit and make laws that are enforced against the rest of us should have to pay an even higher penalty in that they are or should be held to an even higher standard than the average citizen. Jones needs to get on over and arrest them considering he is a law enforcement officer sworn to uphold the laws of Georgia. I bet that Matt Doring would have his butt if he did. Or will this be another case of selective enforcement based on who they are, a bit like Judge Williams? Crimes have been commited and nobody in law enforcement seems to have noticed.

Posted on February 8, 2013 - 07:11 AM #
  11. Crossbow

The state doesn't like the competition. Seriously, who cares about that? It was or is against the law to scare squirrels in the city of Brunswick.

Posted on February 8, 2013 - 08:54 AM #
  12. Gobbleman

Poker is NOT gambling....it is a game of SKILL....and there are no laws against skill.....

CB, "who cares about that??" So, do we chose the laws we will abide by and shrug our shoulders and wink at others?? If gambling is against the law it is a crime....same as not wearing a seat belt or littering....BUT if the good ol boys are doing it then....wink wink....it is NOT enforced!! ONLY the state can profit from gambling.....

Posted on February 8, 2013 - 01:13 PM #
  13. Crossbow

I could not care less about six or seven old farts in a poker game. At the end of the day they probably fed 2 welfare families.

Posted on February 8, 2013 - 04:56 PM #
  14. The point is - the law was broken and its against the law to play poker for money, no matter the amount. Its not about what you personally care about or not, its the law. Entire different discussion if gambling should it be illegal or not. As stands its against the law and those that were gaming no matter how high or low the stakes , broke the law. They should all be charged considering law enforcement knows ( probably were law enforcement officials present at the time the crime was commited - has happened before ie: Carl Alexander and gang ) As far as I am concerned the invesigation of Sublett's death is flawed at the very begining , when those that were engaged in breaking the law were given a pass. If you find an error in the text is not the entire text suspect and now in need of confirming?

Posted on February 10, 2013 - 07:27 AM #
  15. Crossbow

That is ridiculous. Maybe we can snuff out private lottery's to benefit cancer patients also. Or arrest Girl Scouts for selling cookies without a license. What about a kids lemonade stand, you want to arrest the kid? That is against the law. I bet you want then to take my AR 15.

Posted on February 10, 2013 - 09:14 AM #
  16. The world according to crossbow. ridiculous.? Comprehension problems I see. I posted the law for you and no matter if you like it or not, its the law.Could not be more clear. I really dont care what girl scouts, kids or grannies playing bingo do.I will leave that up to code enforcement. As far as an AR 15 goes, what did that have to do with gambling laws? I know, mention a firearm to show what a tough guy you think yourself to be. why not challenge code enforcement with it....

Posted on February 11, 2013 - 04:46 AM #
  17. Crossbow

So the law doesn't apply to a kid with a lemonade stand? It looks like you are applying the law as you see fit. Tough guy? LOL you are the one wanting to make a federal case against some old farts playing cards in their home.

Posted on February 11, 2013 - 09:58 AM #
  18. redhot

High stakes or nickle and dime. The law says it is still illegal. If this is as well known as we are led to believe, than why has the police chief broken up the game yet? Or does the police chief get a little action if he would look the other way? The police said for years there were no gangs in Glynn County. Now they are finally admitting the truth. How many more years will the police say there is no illegal gambling in the county? How many more must die before the police admit the truth?

Posted on February 11, 2013 - 01:56 PM #
  19. Crossbow

I am sure there is a lot of action to give when the average take away is about $15

Posted on February 11, 2013 - 04:12 PM #
  20. redhot

If crossbow is correct than I do not see any leader or elected offical in the community killing him or herself over a possible loss of $15. As to turning poker games, lemonadestands, girl scout cookie sales and old lady bingo games over to code enforcement. The only thing that may lead to is an increase in funeral home business.

Posted on February 11, 2013 - 04:47 PM #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.

aware