aware

Brunswick Talk Radio Forum 1440 WGIG » Straight Talk from Scott Ryfun

Support Your Local VA Clinic

(19 posts)
  1. Old Guy

For those of you who are qualified veterans, the local VA Clinic is worth using. I don't know why I never thought of using them, but you do not have to have a service connected disability to get care there. I pay a small fee for most care, but the the care I have received has been first rate. My income is pretty low now that I'm retired, so an affordable healthcare facility is important. My new wife had been using them and asked me why I didn't. I didn't know I could! I served many more years in the service than she did. They have a podiatrist, too. My feet are grateful. Saved me a bunch of money over Applecare. Just thought I'd pass this along to any veterans that might be on the forum.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 01:56 AM #
  2. jr45acp

When the "pre-registration" for the clinic was conducted I went to get both myself and my wife signed up. She has a significant disability and I had one that was pulled years ago. After years (over 15) of fighting the VA she's finally getting treatment. As for me, they said essentially "no disability, well you ain't got nothing coming Bubba!" ***tards!

That having been said, Old Guy makes a good point. There is talk at the clinic that they may well shut it down due to the low volume of useage.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 11:14 AM #
  3. Crossbow

I have a friend that went and he was told he made too much money . I can see why they may shut down. They turn everyone away. I have not been yet.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 01:52 PM #
  4. Old Guy

My father in law was also turned down because he made too much money. All I get is a small pension from the City and Social Security. I don't really understand why it is that way, but apparently it is "needs based" rather than just service based. But there are probably many veterans out there who qualify, and I would surely hate to lose this clinic.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 02:25 PM #
  5. Crossbow

Why? Because the government is tuning everything to people that don't work. These people earned the care regardless of what they make.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 02:50 PM #
  6. Old Guy

I agree with you, Crossbow. It should be service based rather than income based. I am glad that I qualified, but I think all veterans should get this service. Apparently, my service in Viet Nam was a factor in my approval. I did not know I was qualified for any care until I applied.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 02:57 PM #
  7. SickNTired

OldGuy, Where and How did you apply???

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 03:11 PM #
  8. Old Guy

Go down to the Summit Building second floor to the VA office. Bring copy of DD214. Fill out the forms. You'll get a card mailed to you if you qualifed. Veterans who served in Viet Nam get it because of a law passed in 1996. No wonder most of us vets knew nothing about it. The benefits only started long after we served.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 03:21 PM #
  9. Crossbow

The country is headed to **** when it denies benefits to vets and signs on more welfare recipients by the millions.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 05:51 PM #
  10. Old Guy

It's a sad state of affairs. I just wanted to help some veterans out, who like me, didn't know they could get health care from the VA.

Posted on March 3, 2013 - 06:19 PM #
  11. jr45acp

Just an update on the issue of the VA Clinic potentially closing down. Apparently, it is just a malicious rumor. My most recent contact with the medical community (local practice) indicates there is no such thoughts at work at the present. My source said "It's here to stay!" Hopefully this is, indeed, factual. My confidence in the individual that relayed the info is 100%.

Posted on March 21, 2013 - 08:57 AM #
  12. Old Guy

That's good news, jr. I called ST today to speak of my positive experiences with the local VA Clinic. Then there was the caller who said veterans are part of the problem. Yep, we're just like the welfare folks. All we do is sit around and talk about our disabilities. They sent me to a war at 19 and I was spit on when I returned. And now I am part of the problem because I can get some healthcare from the VA.

Posted on March 21, 2013 - 10:18 AM #
  13. This clinic has been totaly first rate and I cannot say enough good things about the service and treatment I have received from them. I made my application online and was accepted but darned if I can find the site where I applied again. Its your benefit, use it, you earned it and the nay saysers can stuff it. Hey old guy-vietnam vets are my hero's. You answered the call of duty, at a time when it was not popular, did the job, and was not properly thanked for your service. Your thanks was a communist cannon between Jane Fonda's legs. Great example of the propaganda winning the war, when every major battle was won, pretty much had them on the rope's and then we surrendered.

Posted on March 22, 2013 - 12:07 AM #
  14. jr45acp

Old Guy, I heard your call. Knowing you were wounded, certainly you have standing and are not committing larceny as that gentleman suggested.

People tend to look at Vets with visible wounds. I was a Corpsman and I can tell you that there are many whose wounds can't be seen as they are internal. Then again, I'm preaching to the choir.

I'd like to thank both of us for our service!!!!!

Posted on March 22, 2013 - 09:14 AM #
  15. Old Guy

If you were a corpsman, you saw more action than I did. I lost a dear friend 2 years ago. He was a corpsman with SEAL Team 2. He joined the SEALS just to get out of the hospital duty in Japan where the severely wounded were treated. He was haunted by the carnage he saw. He took his own life. BTW: I was not wounded in battle. Sorry if I gave that impression. I'm no hero. I just survived it. I am very grateful that I qualified for VA care. I pay a small deductible for most services.

Posted on March 22, 2013 - 12:02 PM #
  16. jr45acp

I'm no hero either! Just did my job and took care of my men. What was that line in Josey wales? " I guess we all died some in that damned war!" Sorry about your friend,. I've lost more than I care to think about, in the same manner. Demons! Damned Demons!

Posted on March 22, 2013 - 09:52 PM #
  17. Crossbow

There are Vets that make other Vets look bad. One near me on full disability jack hammered his driveway up and doesn't look disabled at all. He is taking away money from those laying in a hospital bed with no legs. When we came back to Ft Stewart those among us that didn't have a real job started complaining of medical problems and the Army put them on medical hold while they kept getting paid and playing cards. You dont see this to that extent in the Air Force, it changes between the branches.

Posted on March 23, 2013 - 09:52 AM #
  18. jr45acp

Excellent point Cross! Spot on! I guess it's the one rotten apple situation, eh?

Posted on March 23, 2013 - 11:52 AM #
  19. Crossbow

I was **** to see people with no medical problems suddenly having them when they found themselves near losing a paycheck. It is no different than the welfare system. You knew who was going to do it before we came back. And there was the slip and fall lot.

Posted on March 25, 2013 - 07:19 PM #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

aware