aware

Brunswick Talk Radio Forum 1440 WGIG » Straight Talk from Scott Ryfun

Who has a right to know ??

(17 posts)
  1. Crossbow

Should an elected official such as a commissioner be told information that the public doesn't know?

Posted on January 17, 2013 - 11:28 AM #
  2. Gene

no.

Posted on January 17, 2013 - 12:51 PM #
  3. Jones

Why?

Posted on January 17, 2013 - 02:16 PM #
  4. Crossbow

Yes, elaborate Gene.

Posted on January 17, 2013 - 04:31 PM #
  5. Gene

I do not think the commissioners have the authority to know info of an on going LE investigation. Esp when the investigation is of a fellow comm. member.

Posted on January 18, 2013 - 08:57 AM #
  6. Crossbow

Well I asked a general question but I think you are right. The problem with what you are talking about is how our police department is set up is that the head works at anytime for 4 people. That is a powerful influence. The oath says one thing and the paycheck another.

Posted on January 18, 2013 - 09:39 AM #
  7. Jones

Gene, you have an interesting opinion. However, I think that the elected leaders of the county should have access to what any department within the county is involved with. It allows for oversight into each department and I think most in the community agree that this is a good thing.

Posted on January 18, 2013 - 01:12 PM #
  8. Gene

I some cases maybe. Like they should know about the status of hiring a fire chief, for example. But in an unsolved death case, in which the deceased is a fellow comm., I don't know. Not for a second that I think another comm did this btw. I agree w/ oversite, but, a time and place for everything. I would think LE would not want just any local yokel to know all the info until y'all get your ducks in a row, elected comms included.

Wonder if it was a typo when the ATL paper said "we" were using a 12 pound object to see how the river currents affected it. I don't think a 12 lb weight will show any lateral movement. 12 oz maybe.

Posted on January 18, 2013 - 01:46 PM #
  9. Crossbow

You are right again Gene. Policy oversight and legislation is different than sensitive information given out that could destroy a case.

Posted on January 18, 2013 - 02:52 PM #
  10. terrilynn

Gene, Jones will agree with everything that our police department do. Even when they are wrong. He is very intelligent and I am sure a great police officer. But totally biased when it comes to GCPD.

Posted on January 18, 2013 - 07:05 PM #
  11. Jones

Terri, thank you. My bias, as you see it, comes from having a different perspective than those who have never worked in law enforcement. I see this agency as a professional organization which places a great deal of emphasis on improving the quality of life for the citizens and visitors of Glynn County. Some on this forum do not see GCPD in the same way. My posts are drawn from several years of working in different divisions, and seeing the steps being taken to facilitate this policy. I don't presume to be able to change any opinions or seek to discourage any despisement. I do not speak for the department, or the county. I offer my point of view based solely upon my background and experience. Once again, thank you for the compliment!

Posted on January 19, 2013 - 03:16 AM #
  12. Crossbow

Our post are drawn from a lifetime of living here and looking at the past over the last few year where there has been a lot of emphasis on pulling the trigger and demonizing the recipient of same while spreading a cloak of secrecy for others. And as far as professionalism goes we have had a string of trials in jeopardy and even a killer set free because of the fundamentals of the of law enforcement NOT administered. We have seen home burglaries and other crimes not investigated while the wrath of the county police department and the tax payers money comes down on an alleged traffic offender because it involved a cops wife. There is no use pretending like none of this and more hasn't happened. There is no use pretending that there is not a political reality and bias at administering justice in Glynn County and the GCPD has not been a part of that. You and everyone else at that department took an oath to defend the very people you keep elevating that department above.. Let me explain something when you tell us that we never worked in law enforcement like we shouldn't have an opinion. You and your chief work for us. It may surprise you but myself and others here have a great deal of respect for police officers and yes even you. Jones you keep criticizing and making cute little jokes about people that "never worked in law enforcement" like we are lesser birds at the bird bath, like you have some kind of magical pixie dust put on you, like god poured something special into you and not us. Like common sense.

Posted on January 19, 2013 - 06:53 AM #
  13. Jones

I miss the old forum where I could red pen your posts (meant as a joke).... I never said or implied that you shouldn't have or voice an opinion. Never. As a matter of fact, I've said plenty of times that people should be critical of, and question their government. I'm just a critical of some of your posts which seem at times, honestly, half baked, at best. You have posted things that are blatantly false, which seem to have the only purpose of generating and inflaming mistrust of the county police. The fact is, you don't know what you don't know. I say this not as an insult or as a derogatory inference, but to say that you are not aware of everything involved in a particular incident. It's akin to the fact that I can't speak intelligently on a host of subjects that you can. And something else; alot gets lost when ideas are shared on an internet forum. A simple statement can be misconstrued because you can't see the other person's expression or hear their voice inflection. Years ago when I said something like "you don't know the law" or "you need to research the law", you seemed to take that as a personal assault (the barrage I got back indicated this!), when it was meant only as a "you need to look deeper" into what you were trying to say. Please excuse the long windedness..... I guess I could've said "Lighten up Francis"

Posted on January 19, 2013 - 11:23 AM #
  14. terrilynn

Jones, you stated that we are saying things that are 'false' but you will not admit when we are saying things that are 'facts'. If you could let us know when we have made false statements that would be really helpful but you do not. You make broad comments like 'sometimes mistakes are made'.
    Again I have lived in this community for many, many years and have nothing but respect for what police officers do and am sure that the majority of GCPD are honest and hardworking. What bothers me is when we have officers who are not honest or are accused of doing something wrong and not abiding by the oath they took, it is brushed 'under the table' or they are moved to another county 'until things die down' and then come back and become detectives! I know personally of an officer who was accused of using excessive force. He left to a small town in Georgia as a sheriff for a couple of years, came back and was promoted to detective!!! This is a fact! The detective who messed up the case where David Clay (an evil murderer) was let go. left the county and is working now in another state!! Maybe waiting for things to die down?
    Again the worst for me was the Carolyn Small case. I did not know her or her family but as I followed the series of events ending with seeing that video no-one can convince me that she was not murdered!!! You say it was investigated, by who? The people who continue to cover up for those police officers? What about their comments after she was shot? And they are still on our police force. That bothers me. Again I do not know any of the parties involved. I am saying this as a tax paying citizen who is concerned that these things happen. I can go on and on about mistakes made. I have no inside knowledge only what I read and hear.
    Its very sad when I hear a member of the jury in the recent case, where maybe another murderer is out on the street, tell me how arrogant and an ....hole (her words) the lead detective was on the case and the saddest thing is that most of the jury felt the same way!!! He needs more training!! It is a common fact (not just t.v) that the jury has to have a good impression of the lead officer for the prosecution!! Its common sense, especially dealing with a murder case!!!

Posted on January 19, 2013 - 01:29 PM #
  15. Jones

True, I do point out things that are posted as being false when they are. But here's the rub; I will not violate GCPD OPSEC or PERSEC. I won't disclose anything that may hinder or give the appearance of hindering an ongoing investigation. I won't publically defame, slander, or speak negatively about a member of my department or any other LE officer/ agent. I won't disclose private conversations I've had with forum members or the general public. I realize, albeit sometimes too late, that my writing style sometimes leaves one with a less than flattering opinion. This is due partially to having spent a great many years in very type A personality team rooms and training venues that tend to thicken the skin. These parameters play a huge part in what I do and do not post. I can tell you that our hiring practices are among the strictest in the state as is our FTO program. We do not farm out officers who have made mistakes waiting for things to "die down". It just doesn't happen. I can't speak as to the examples you gave as I am not familar with them. And as far as which agencies who investigated the Small case, a quick search on the internet should give you a accurate list.

Posted on January 19, 2013 - 11:35 PM #
  16. The more I read about the murder of Ms Small the more I am convinced that she was murdered. Its no surprise to me that society will place a lesser value on a life like Ms Smalls that was plagued with substance abuse. Nor am I surprised that those pro law enforcement agencies and people would be relunctant to hold those officers accountable for a labled low life like Ms Small. I sure hope that Jones has not gotten so thick skinned that he would behave like Sasser and Simpson after they had mortally wounded Ms Small.They were very cold blooded.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-10-02/story/troubling-details-georgia-police-shooting
    http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2010-06-29/story/family-grieves-over-brunswick-woman-killed-police
    http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2010-06-26/story/brunswick-woman-dies-week-after-being-shot-police

Posted on January 20, 2013 - 03:42 AM #
  17. Crossbow

Back to the original question. Should an elected official such as a commissioner be told information that the public doesn't know? There is nothing that qualifies them to know in the area of that would assure that information being kept secure. Example a security clearance. In fact it could destroy a conviction. On the other hand should basic information be kept from the public while asking for the public's help? Example during a homicide investigation it is found a missing item is later found in a ditch or a CD was in the vehicle that the owner would never had listened to? Someone telling the press no comment while their singing like a bird in another direction. Is that what you would or should expect from government? Government you pay for.

Posted on January 20, 2013 - 08:06 AM #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

aware